Thursday 22 May 2014

Week 9: May 3rd-9th: Exciting Holiday!

For an explanation of this project and blog please click here.
Click on photos to enlarge or see slideshow



Saturday May 3rd:


Much excitement! I travelled to my parents where I am going to stay for two weeks. This took 1.5 hours by car. It was painful and tiring, but it did not provoke a flare up of an illness, simply a worsening of my muscle symptoms.

I hardly ever go away as I am too sick. Travel is extremely painful and I take time to recover. A "proper" holiday would be pointless. I would arrive and have to rest for a day or two. I would then go out for at most two hours and then spend another day or two stuck in a hotel room. Not exactly my idea of fun! Thus I have not been on holiday since 2006 bar occasional visits to family.

But anyway, let's move on. The reason for my visit is that my sister is over here for 7 weeks from Australia and I am meeting my 6 month old niece for the very first time. So far we have only communicated by Skype. This has been surprisingly successful, even playing games of peekaboo etc, but not the same as seeing her in person.

Sunday May 4th:


My sister arrived. I can't begin to say how good it was to see her. We are very close and it is hard for both of us for her to live so far away. As for meeting my niece... Well. She is simply gorgeous! (not that I'm biased in any way). Her father is spanish and she has that mediterranean look. Unusually for a 6 month old she also has a full head of black hair. I would love to share photos, but unfortunately don't feel it is safe to do so on an open site.

Monday May 5th-Friday May 9th


My other sister was able to join us and these days were spent simply relaxing together and getting to know the new pint sized addition to the family. She is adorable but really knows her own mind already!

My parents live in a beautiful rural area and some places have had wheelchair accessible paths put in. My health was doing much better and this meant I was able to go on some brilliant "wheelchair walks".

This did take its toll though and some days I was too ill to accompany the rest of the family. I also had several bad episodes of lowered oxygen and my muscles simply gave up the ghost towards the end of the week. We realised this was due to trying to do too much with my niece and adapted accordingly, for instance bringing her to my bed in the mornings instead of sitting her on my lap.

Wheelchair Walks around the Village:



Typical Cottage

Thatched Cottage

Old Vicarage

Fields on way to Church

Church Approach

Local Church


Wheelchair Walk to a Local Viewpoint:



Route to Monument

Path

The Monument

We got there!



End of Week 9
Click here to go to Week 10
Click here to go to Week 8

No comments:

Post a Comment